Trying to find the perfect practise to improve your Doubles Game?
This drill is a tried and tested method which I learned at the Saddlebrook Tennis Academy. Saddlebrook is a truly fantastic resort located in Wesley Chapel near Florida. Over the years the resort has been the home and training ground for many famous pro tennis players including Martina Hingis, Jennifer Capriati and Mardy Fish.
The following drill is a great way to start your next session of doubles. It will help you improve the following:
- Ground strokes
- Hand-Eye Coordination
How does it work?
- 1 team at the net and 1 team at the baseline
- The net players feed the ball to either of the players on the baseline
- The baseliners aim to get the ball past the players at the net, either down the tram lines or down the centre of the court
- I would suggest at the start to not allow lobs to count unless you want to practise smashes
- Once the ball is in play, continue to play the point out
Play first to ten points and then swap positions so each team has had an opportunity to play at the net and at the baseline.
This drill really helps to improve your doubles play!